There is growing talk of smart cities of the future based on advanced and connected technologies. Political initiatives and financial perspectives are growing to support such development and to introduce solutions based on artificial intelligence, automation, complex databases and mobile technologies, as well as biotechnological solutions, into urban as well as rural environments. Conventional scientific and technological approaches are upgraded with methods of speculative or community design and practice of contemporary research art.
But what role will people’s connectivity and their knowledge of the use of advanced technologies play in this? How do the wishes and possibilities of the urban center differ from the rural periphery, and what are some of the Slovenian peculiarities of the development of the user experience? Should such solutions respond only to the existing and known needs of the population, or should they also make them aware of critical topics and important issues of the future and, last but not least, include them in the decision-making process?
How to create smart communities that can rely on high technologies to meet societal needs in line with sustainable development goals? How to move from purely good user experience and cross-cutting European trends to developing deeper, strategic partnerships between providers and users of social and cultural infrastructure?
We also talked about the responsible design of modern coexistence through advanced technologies – also in the context of the current “Public tender for demonstration projects for the establishment of smart cities and communities JR PMIS”:
- Matjaž Logar Executive Director of Operation SRIP PMiS, Strategic Development Innovation Partnership Smart Cities and Communities
- Peter Geršič SITIUM project manager, expert associate for development and smart communities at the Municipality of Novo Mesto
- Andrej Žižek architect, urban planner and researcher of the impact of information technologies and open data on urban transformation
- Simon Mokorel head of the development office and coordinator for the Smart City at the Municipality of Nova Gorica
- Peter Purg Academy of Arts of the University of Nova Gorica and the konS project, a platform for contemporary research art (moderator)
V sodelovanju z